Outlook says that it is unable to connect to server
monica
2006-03-20 19:13:27 UTC
I have called microsoft and msn to try to fix this problem. I have internet
service. I have a firewall on and I have tried it off. I am unable to get
my mail through Outlook. It stopped working about 4 days ago. I have been
trying to get outlook to open up when I turn on my computer, that failed
also. It says that my connection could not be estaliblished. On my control
panel it says that my Isp is not connected. When I tried to connect it, it
gave me an error message of 687. Can anyone help me?
Monica
Diane Poremsky [MVP]
2006-03-20 20:35:39 UTC
how are you connecting? phone line, DSL or cable modem? does the internet
browser work?
--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Monica
Klaus
2006-03-21 09:05:34 UTC
Best you contact your service provider and ask him for the proper
settings! It mostly dependy on him, and the settings are of his choice.

Klaus
monica
2006-03-21 20:01:25 UTC
Klaus, I have contacted the server, they tell me that it is a Microsoft
problem, not Qwest or Msn.
Monica
Klaus
monica
Monica
Wayne
2006-03-23 04:28:19 UTC
Diane,

I am having the same symptoms as sue in the thread below: Outlook 2003 was
working just fine last night until after I did an automatic update - no other
changes. Suddenly, Outlook cannot connect to any of my 3 unique email
servers. However, using the Control Panel Mail icon to access the accounts,
the connection is made just fine, and the test emails are being sent as
expected (I verified this through my web email interfaces).

Errors all look like this:

Task 'AT&T - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to
connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive
this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider
(ISP).'

Another variation says my "ISP doesn't support SSL", which it actually does.
Again, these same account connections work from Control Panel Mail, and it
suddenly started failing immediately after the last automatic update I
performed.

I am using Outlook 2003 (11.8010.6568) SP2

Thanks!
Monica
Wayne
2006-03-23 04:46:26 UTC
Diane,

Some more info (from Outlook Log):

Here's the Control Panel Mail entry for one of my accounts (again, Control
Panel Mail was successful at connecting/sending test message using the Test
Account Settings button):

2006.03.22 23:37:09 AT&T: Synch operation started (flags = 00000001)
2006.03.22 23:37:09 AT&T: UploadItems: 1 messages to send
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Begin execution
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Port: 465, Secure:
SSL, SPA: no
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Finding host
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Disconnected from host
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Port: 465, Secure:
TLS, SPA: no
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Finding host
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Disconnected from host
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): End execution
2006.03.22 23:37:10 AT&T: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x800ccc7d
2006.03.22 23:37:10 AT&T: Synch operation completed

Here's the same account, but this attempt failed and produced the error
message I sent you earlier:

2006.03.22 23:42:23 AT&T: Synch operation started (flags = 00000001)
2006.03.22 23:42:23 AT&T: UploadItems: 1 messages to send
2006.03.22 23:42:23 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Begin execution
2006.03.22 23:42:23 AT&T: Synch operation started (flags = 00000030)
2006.03.22 23:42:23 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Port: 465, Secure:
SSL, SPA: no
2006.03.22 23:42:23 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Finding host
2006.03.22 23:42:23 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Disconnected from host
2006.03.22 23:42:23 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Port: 465, Secure:
TLS, SPA: no
2006.03.22 23:42:23 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Finding host
2006.03.22 23:42:23 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Disconnected from host
2006.03.22 23:42:23 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): End execution
2006.03.22 23:42:23 AT&T: DoPOPDownload(flags = 00000030, max msg =
ffffffff): full items
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net): Begin execution
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net): ========= Initial
blob =========
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net):
&B20060322023311013003qu6fe001o17
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net):
&B2006032202331911200c92ete001o18
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net):
&B2006032203094001700qaitue001o19
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net):
&B2006032203131601200n9sa0e001o1a
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net):
&B2006032203323601700k3rqve001o1b
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net):
&B2006032203435301700ah2hbe001o1c
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net):
&B2006032203453701400rg1she001o1d
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net):
===================================
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net): Port: 995, Secure:
SSL, SPA: no
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net): Finding host
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net): Disconnected from
host
2006.03.22 23:42:23 POP3 (ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net): End execution
2006.03.22 23:42:23 AT&T: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x80042108
2006.03.22 23:42:23 AT&T: Synch operation completed
2006.03.22 23:42:24 AT&T: ReportStatus: RSF_COMPLETED, hr = 0x800ccc7d
2006.03.22 23:42:24 AT&T: Synch operation completed

Thanks!

Wayne
Monica
Brian Tillman
2006-03-23 15:41:02 UTC
Post by Wayne
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Begin execution
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Port: 465,
Secure: SSL, SPA: no
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Finding host
2006.03.22 23:37:10 SMTP (imailhost.worldnet.att.net): Disconnected
Port: 465, Secure: TLS, SPA: no
This is a fairly clear indication that something is dropping the connection
immediately after it is made. Are you sure you're supposed to be using port
465? Port 465 is for SMTP using SSL. I didn't think Worldnet used SSL
connections. The usual port for TLS connections is port 587.
Brian Tillman
sue
2006-03-23 16:35:52 UTC
Can I muscle in again here? I'm still having the same trouble. I have only
one server, btinternet. They offer a Help program, which I downloaded: it
looks at your configurations and tells you what's what. Sadly, though, it
doesn't do Outlook, only Outlook Express. As a parting shot the guy on the
helpdesk advised me to change my outgoing port from 25 to 587. I tried it
but it didn't make any difference. I also tried uninstalling the latest
Windows Updates for Outlook (from the date on which it all went wrong) but
that didn't help either. However, they were back in a jiffy thanks to
Automatic Updates, so I might not have done a restart in time.

May be coincidence but I also now keep getting a message in IE to re-connect
(work offline/try again) even though I'm not disconnected. However, I've
just got a new router so it might be that ...?

I don't know how to find the Outlook log like Wayne did. Would it help if I
did?

Sue
Brian Tillman
Wayne
2006-03-23 18:12:29 UTC
Brian,

Thanks for helping!

Yes, I double-checked the configuration (whidh has been working for several
years before now). The AT&T Help article is here:

http://help.att.net/docs/howto/email/nets/how_oe_w9x-xp_setup-mail-gia.htm?area=customer_email&platform=OSWINXP&faqcounter

I agree that it appears the connection is dropped, but remember that the
Test button from Control Panel Mail works just fine - it uses the same
configuration interface as Outlook, and successfully sends test emails (which
I verify through my web email interface).

I also have an sbcglobal.net account and a Yahoo pop3 account, and they were
all working just fine, then all suddenly stopped working at the same time.
The last thing I did before it stopped working was to allow an automatic
update to occur, then rebooted.

I see that others on this thread and others are having the same problem, and
they also seem to coincide with an update.

I have also re-created my AT&T account from scratch, and the results are the
same - fails in Outlook, but works in Control Panel Mail.

Please advise - thanks!

Wayne
Brian Tillman
Brian Tillman
2006-03-23 20:00:46 UTC
Post by Wayne
I have also re-created my AT&T account from scratch, and the results
are the same - fails in Outlook, but works in Control Panel Mail.
If this happened to me, I'd try starting with a new mail profile to really
clean things out.
Brian Tillman
sue
2006-03-21 09:56:27 UTC
I am getting a very similar problem that started about four or five days ago.
Do you think it's a Windows Update at fault?

My Outlook won't send or receive. All the settings are unaltered. I have
tried removing them and then adding again. Interestingly, if I go into
conntrol panel and access the view/change account wizard from there I can
send a test message, but from within Outlook I can't: I get an error message
about ports and servers. The ports and servers are unaltered. I've also
tried asking my server (btinternet/yahoo) to configure my email settings in
Outlook (there's a think you can click on on the Yahoo website, which I've
used successfully in the past for less serious glitches) but that doesn't
work either.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO?? I work from Outlook all the time, and am sunk
without it.
Monica
monica
2006-03-21 19:31:19 UTC
Sue, I have the same problem. Our situations are the same. Mine started
about 5 days ago too. I have contacted my server and Microsoft. No one has
been able to help.
Monica
Monica
sue
2006-03-21 22:22:30 UTC
Monica! Spooky, this - and horrible. No one can help me either. Are we the
only two people in all the Microsoft World to whom this dreadful thing has
happened?

Have you tried the control panel thing? With the change/view account
wizard? I can't work out why my PC thinks Outlook can dowload email and yet
Outlook doesn't. It's an Outlook dialog box in both.

I downloaded a thing called BT Broadband Help (btinternet is my server), but
they said they only help people with Outlook Express. They don't do Outlook.
I begin to see why ... I've also tried a few other message boards - they're
nice at sillydog. But I haven't (yet) come across someone with the same
problem. I've tried uninstalling the latest Windows update - which came in
on the day it happened (16th). But it hasn't made any difference.

Sue

Are we just going to have to reinstall our Outlooks, do you think? Buy new
PCs? Macs?